The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Diesel Mechanic / Technician opportunity, you also should have:
- Strong diesel repair experience in a professional setting.
- Solid troubleshooting ability related to equipment repairs.
- Potential to move up to a shift lead position; supervisory or lead experience is an advantage.
- Your own basic tools up to 1/2".
- A valid commercial driver's license (Class A or B CDL) and an acceptable driving record OR the ability to obtain a CDL within 90 days of employment. Class A preferred.
- The ability to lift 75 lbs.
- The ability to pass a DOT physical exam and drug screen.
- ASE certifications preferred (certifications increase your hourly wage).
The RoleOur mechanics play a vital role in keeping our fleets efficiently operating and customers satisfied. In this role, you will diagnose and repair tractors (primarily) and trailers. You will need to be skilled working with diagnostic programs and troubleshooting. At NFI, you'll work with Freightliner, Volvo and International diagnostics. The lion's share of your work will be on Freightliner equipment, but you'll also spend a good deal of time working on Volvo and International equipment. Engines are primarily DD13 and MaxxForce.
As Diesel Mechanic / Technician, you will work in a nice, large shop with a team of five other Mechanics. You will complete a steady flow of scheduled PM work and repair work. You will also regularly interact with drivers and dealers. To succeed in the role, you will need strong engine component repair abilities, but will not be doing complete engine rebuilds. Likewise, you'll do clutch jobs, but rarely rebuild transmissions. Large repairs are typically completed at dealerships.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why Join Us?Top compensation -- our pay rates are highly competitive in this market, and our benefits package includes health, dental, vision, prescription, disability, and life insurance coverage.
Stability and growth -- we are a $1.1 billion dollar company with a global profile and more than 80 years of success behind us. But we're not resting on our laurels... With strong growth initiatives underway, we are continuing to expand our reach. For example, we added 9 facilities totaling 3.5 million square feet last year alone! Our continued growth will translate to growth in fleet maintenance as well.
Awards and accolades -- we think NFI is a great company, but don't just take our word for it! Here's a sample of recent recognition:
- In 2016, for the fourth year in a row, we were named a Heavy Duty Trucking Magazine "Top Green Fleet" for efforts in fuel efficiency, sustainable equipment usage, and facility improvements such as solar panels and energy-efficient lighting.
- Philly.com named NFI a Top Workplace in 2015. The regional awards are determined solely by employee input on surveys administered by an independent firm.
- In 2015 & 2016 Inbound Logistics Magazine included NFI on two top 100 lists, the Top 100 Truckers and Top 3PL Providers, based on the diverse operational capabilities and experience that enables us to meet readers' unique supply chain and logistics needs.
- NFI Park, a business park with 1.65 million square feet of development opportunity in Florence Township, NJ, earned the 2014 New Good Neighbor Award from the New Jersey Business & Industry Association (NJBIA) for economic benefit/job creation, architectural merit, and community involvement.
- In 2013 we received a Double Platinum Carrier award from Lowe's for consistently exceeding performance goals established by Lowe's.
Video: NFI values diversity and is a veteran-friendly company; we want veterans working for us within every discipline of our company. Currently, we have 8000+ employees with more than 300 self-identified veterans among them, and our aim is to double that number, year over year.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will embrace our safety-first culture as well as a strong customer service attitude toward your internal "customers." You should bring a sense of ownership and accountability, and take pride in delivering quality work on a daily basis. You'll also bring a positive attitude and work effectively with the team.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Diesel Mechanic / Technician, you will:
- Earn a reputation for being committed and reliable.
- Pay close attention to details, including documenting your activities appropriately.
- Remain flexible as priorities change.
- Keep an eye out for ways to improve processes.
- Bring a willingness to learn new techniques.
About NFI IndustriesLeveraging Logistics · Delivering Success
Founded in 1932, NFI is a fully integrated third-party supply chain solutions provider. Serving customers around the world, across a variety of industries, NFI is dedicated to providing customized, engineered solutions that propel a business to succeed. NFI's business lines include dedicated transportation, warehousing, intermodal, brokerage, transportation management, global, and real estate services.
Supply chains have an integral role in the success of a business. With the right partner, logistics can spur profitability while addressing the complexities that come with growth. With solutions that span the entire supply chain, NFI can engineer integrated solutions that help customers operate more efficiently and improve service to their customers. Whether their goals are to improve your supply chain, supplement operations to accommodate growth, or enhance corporate sustainability efforts, NFI can help. Through continuous improvement, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit, partnering with NFI delivers results.
NFI is a team of entrepreneurs working toward a common goal -- growth. Our employees are driven, motivated and quick on their feet. They know what it takes to make an impact. Together we are striving to diversify our services to become a one-stop shop of end-to-end logistics solutions for our clients.
As a family-owned company, NFI recognizes the importance of giving back to the community. Social responsibility is one of our six values at NFI, and the company participates in and donates funds and services to many charitable events and several foundations each year. NFI and its employees support organizations such as the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, The American Red Cross, The Ronald McDonald House, The American Cancer Society, and The American Heart Association.